- Calmentor Home
- Executive Order S-11-06
- Steering Committee
- Calmentor Events
- Calmentor Program Guidelines
- Look Ahead Report
- CalMentor Program & SOQ Process
WELCOME TO THE NORTH REGION CALMENTOR PROGRAM
A. Caltrans North Region Consultant Services Unit (CSU) has implemented an Architectural & Engineering (A&E) mentor-protégé program, also known as “Calmentor.” By partnering with the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), the Calmentor Program promotes partnership with the private consulting industry, The Calmentor Program is consistent with the Governor’s Executive Order No. S-11-06 to encourage new businesses, grow existing businesses, and promote small and emerging business contracting with the State of California. Calmentor supports the participation of certified Small Business Enterprise (SBE), Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), and Disabled Veterans Business Enterprises (DVBE) firms in the North Region. Voluntary participation in the program is through acceptance and screening of completed applications from mentors and protégés.
B. Mission Statement
The mission of the Calmentor Program is to increase the pool of small firms participating in transportation projects by providing them opportunities to network and partner with larger, established firms.
C. Goals and Objectives
- Establish a mentoring Program that pairs small firms with larger, established firms in the same field of expertise
- Enhance the growth potential of small firms
- Ensure that both small and large firms have equal opportunities to participate in transportation projects
- Establish a clear, accessible entry point for small firms that want to do business with Caltrans or other public agencies
- Develop business relationships that foster new opportunities for both large and small firms
- Encourage small firms to obtain certification from appropriate agencies
- Increase the pool of small businesses
Participants of the Program are Mentors, Protégés, Sponsors, and/or Steering Committee members. Mentors are large, established firms who are typically prime consultants willing to commit time to help small firms achieve their growth potential. Protégés are small firms who are seeking A&E contracts with Caltrans or other public agencies. Caltrans North Region CSU is the program’s primary sponsor whose aim is to facilitate the growth of small firms. Any public or local organization may join to co-sponsor the Program.
E. Program Organization
The nine-member Steering Committee, which guides and maintains the Calmentor Program, has the following roles:
- Establishes Program goals and objectives and ensures that they are fulfilled
- Sets Program policies and procedures
- Reviews agreements
- Establishes the grievance protocol
- Helps resolve disagreements
- Evaluates Program performance
- Collects historical information on how the Program is proceeding
- Serves as an advisory body to Caltrans
See the Program Guidelines Booklet link for further information on roles and responsibilities of the sponsors, steering committee, sub-committees and program support.
< The program is currently accepting new members. Please complete the appropriate and e-mail the completed form to the contact person listed below:
Millard Totman, Branch Chief,
Chief, North Region Consultant Services Unit
Linked Sites are not recommended, endorsed, nor guaranteed by the Department of Transportation. These links are listed only for the convenience of the public.