System Planning is responsible for long range planning efforts for the State Highway System, including:
- Transportation Concept Reports (TCRs) - analyze transportation corridors and establish 20-year planning concepts for development.
- TCR Data Updates - brief updates to the facts and figures found in existing TCRs.
- The Transportation System Development Plan - which identifies transportation corridor improvements for alternative funding levels.
- The District System Management Plan (DSMP) 2012 (PDF 6.5M) - guides the District's maintenance, management and development of the transportation system.
- Non-motorized - Bicycle and Pedestrian Information
- Scenic Highways - To date, the only officially designated scenic highway in the District is a segment of Route 101 which runs through Redwood State and National Parks in Del Norte County. District 1 System Planning performed a corridor study for Route 101 through Humboldt and Del Norte Counties in 1998 as a potential first step in designating Route 101 as a National Scenic Byway. Designation was not pursued at that time due to a lack of local support. This stretch of Route 101 remains eligible for designation.
- Project Initiation Document Oversight - Project Initiation Documents are prepared to define the scope, schedule and cost of a project. Planning manages project initiation document resources.
- Other Planning projects, such as special studies, functional classification coordination,
non-motorized coordination, Geographic information systems (GIS) support, and District 1 Growth Factors.