Avenue of the Giants Four Bridges
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is proposing to upgrade existing bridge railing to current standards at four locations on the Avenue of the Giants/Route 254 in Humboldt County. These locations are Ohman Creek Bridge, Elk Creek Bridge, Bridge Creek Bridge, and Bear Creek Bridge.
The four bridges included in this project were all built more than 70 years ago and are in need of improvements. Three of the bridges have timber railing which is deteriorating and does not meet current standards.
Caltrans has released an updated draft environmental document for public review. A public meeting is also scheduled at the South Fork High School Gymnasium, 6831 Avenue of the Giants, Miranda, California 95553 on April 12, 2016, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Please submit your written comments via postal mail to Liza Walker at Caltrans, North Region Environmental E-M2 Branch, 703 B Street, Marysville, CA, 95901. Comments may also be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com. All comments must be received by May 2, 2016. For more information about this project, please contact Troy Arseneau, Project Manager, at (707) 441-5877.
Updated Draft Environmental Document and associated studies:
- Initial Study with Proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration - March 2016 (PDF 12.6M)
- Historic Property Survey Report - March 2012 (PDF 6.6M)
- Natural Environment Study - February 2016 (PDF 5.9M)
- Visual Impact Assessment - January 2013 (PDF 117K)
- Noise and Air Quality Assessment - July 2015 (PDF 17K)
- Water Quality Assessment Exemption - August 2013 (PDF 772K)
- Updated Initial Site Assessment - may 2015 (PDF 536K)
Below are displays from the public scoping meeting held on February 28, 2011:
- Brochure (PDF 825K)
- Welcome (PDF 365K)
- Project Map (PDF 107K)
- Need and Purpose (PDF 647K)
- Alternatives (PDF 476K)
- Environmental Considerations (PDF 592K)
- Environmental Process (PDF 119K)
- Ohman Creek Layout (PDF 390K)
- Elk Creek Layout (PDF 429K)
- Bridge Creek Layout (PDF 418K)
- Bear Creek Layout (PDF 410K)
- Detour Map (PDF 109K)
- Roadway Typicals (PDF 158K)
- Typical Sections for Four Bridges (PDF 680K)
For more information, contact:
Phone: (707) 441-5877, TTY 711
Public Information (Media Inquiries)
Phone: (707) 445-6312, TTY 711