Welcome to the State of California Caltrans, District 7 Header
Governor Brown Malcolm Dougherty Michael Miles
Caltrans District 7 0n Twitter
Caltrans District 7 On Friendfeed
Caltrans District 7 on FeedBurner
Caltrans District 7 RSS Feed (Atom)

Preguntas que nos hacen con frecuencia (FAQs)

Questions and Answers:
  • Q: How do I file a claim against Caltrans?

    A: If you feel that you have lost money or property as a result of any action or inaction by Caltrans and your claim is for $5,000 or less, you can file your claim directly with Caltrans. The District 7 Claims Department can be reached at (213)897-0816. A copy of the claim form can be found here.

    If your claim is for over $5000 or concerns a different State of California agency, you can file a claim with the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board. This program gives you the opportunity to formally demand compensation for your loss, and may lead to a settlement of your claim without the need to file a lawsuit. For more information about the Government Claims Program or to request a claim form, write to: California Board of Control, Government Claims Division, P.O. Box 3035, Sacramento, California 95812-3035. You may also call the Government Claims Program toll-free at 1-800-955-0045.

      |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: Where could I report a traffic problem that I'm having on the freeway?

    A: Traffic congestion and construction problems can be reported through our website. Please do not use this form to report emergency or hazardous conditions. You can also contact Public Affairs at (213)897-3656 during business hours for assistance.   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Where can I find a list of District 7's current construction projects?

    A: Construction project information can be found here.   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Do you post lane closure information on your website?

    A: District 7 lane closure information can be found here. In addition, press releases are issued for certain construction projects.  |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Where can I learn about projects that are benefitting from the Economic Stimulus Bill?


    For information on the Economic Stimulus Bill, including a list of projects scheduled to receive funding from the Bill, please visit the Caltrans Economic Recovery website.

      |  Submitted: 08/12/2009
  • Q: Where can I find a list of all construction projects currently taking place in District 7?


    The Statement of Contracts, which is updated monthly, lists all active contracts. The Statement can be found on-line.

      |  Submitted: 08/12/2009
  • Q: What are Sig-Alerts?

    A: "Sig-Alerts" are unique to Southern California. They came about in the 1940s when the L.A.P.D. got in the habit of alerting a local radio reporter, Loyd Sigmon, of bad car wrecks on city streets. These notifications became known as "Sig-Alerts." Later Mr. Sigmon developed an electronic device that authorities could use to alert the media of disasters. Caltrans latched on to the term "Sig-Alert" and it has come to be known as any traffic incident that will tie up two or more lanes of a freeway for two or more hours.   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: What is Caltrans?

    A: The State of California, Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is responsible for the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of the California State Highway System, as well as that portion of the Interstate Highway System within the state's boundaries. Alone and in partnership with Amtrak, Caltrans is also involved in the support of intercity passenger rail service in California, and is a leader in promoting the use of alternative modes of transportation. The current framework of Caltrans was set down by Assembly Bill 69 in 1972.  |  Submitted: 03/23/07
  • Q: Does Caltrans have a telephone number where I can get current road condition information?

    A: To receive current highway condition information, please call (800) 427-ROAD (7623).   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Where can I find job information for Caltrans?

    A: Please refer to the State Personnel Board for job information, or call the Employment Hotline at (800)995-6748.  |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Where would I go to register my vehicle or get a driver's license?

    A: The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for registering vehicles and licensing drivers in California.  |  Submitted: 05/31/07
  • Q: Who can I call for help if I am experiencing car problems on the freeway?

    A: The Metro Freeway Service Patrol is a team of tow-truck drivers patrolling the freeways of Los Angeles County to help stranded motorists. You can dial #399 from your cell phone in order to obtain roadside assistance.  |  Submitted: 06/01/07
  • Q: Where can I find a list of rest areas along California freeways and highways?

    A: A list of rest areas throughout the state can be found on our website.   |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: How do I make a Public Records Request with District 7?

    A: Please contact our Public Records coordinator at (213)897-0890. You may also download the Public Records request form and mail it to the District 7 office to the attention of the Public Records coordinator.  |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: Where can I get information on properties owned and rented by Caltrans?

    A: You can contact our Right of Way Department at (213)897-1975, or view our website.   |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: Where could I find bus information?

    A: For Los Angeles County, the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) is the transportation agency that can assist with bus information. They can be reached at (800)266-6883. For Ventura County a list of bus services can be found here.   |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: What is the area of responsibility for District 7?

    A: Caltrans District 7 is responsible for the planning, design, construction, maintenance, and operation of 42 State freeways and highways in Los Angeles County and Ventura County. There are 915 freeway and highway miles in Los Angeles County, and 273 miles in Ventura County.   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: I have been referred to Caltrans by the courts to complete my community service, where do I sign-up?

    A: Court referral volunteers must register with a Volunteer Center who will then provide the proper paperwork and necessary information to begin their assignment with Caltrans. Caltrans is not responsible for signing up court-referred volunteers, and all reports and completion information is kept at the Volunteer Center. For further information, please contact the Volunteer Center, or the court that ordered you to perform community service.  |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: Does Caltrans offer freeway travel time information?

    A: District 7 has begun to provide travel times on freeway Changeable Message Signs (CMS) to assist motorists during morning and evening commute hours. You can also sign-up to have personalized traffic information sent to your cell phone or PDA. Travel information outside of District 7 can be found on the Caltrans website.   |  Submitted: 06/29/07
  • Q: I have a product that I would like to sell to Caltrans. What steps must I take to do this?


    Please contact the New Products Desk by calling (916) 227-7073.  All new products are evaluated on the basis of need, performance, cost-competitiveness, and compliance with health, safety, and environmental regulations. 

      |  Submitted: 08/11/2009
  • Q: I am planning an event/project and will need to use part of a state road, do I need to notify the Department of Transportation?


    The use of California State highways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization from the Department of Transportation. Caltrans reviews all requests from groups and individuals desiring to conduct various activities within the right of way. Such activities could include for example: construction of highway improvements, driveway installation and maintenance, highway landscaping and graffiti removal, commercial filming, special events such as parades commemorating an event, e.g. Independence Day.For further information regarding ecroachment permits, please visit their website. You may also contact Permits by calling (213) 897-3631.

      |  Submitted: 08/11/2009
  • Q: I am a small business interested in working with Caltrans. What do I need to do to do business with your agency?


    For information on the Caltrans Small Business Enterpise Program, including information on becoming a certified small business, please visit the Civil Rights Division website.  

      |  Submitted: 08/12/2009
  • Q: I noticed a camera on the freeway. What are they used for?


    Closed-Circuit Television Cameras are used as a traffic management tool. The images are beamed into our Traffic Management Center where they are used to verify reported incidents and to dispatch the appropriate response. The cameras are live-feed and do not record.  

      |  Submitted: 08/12/2009
  • Q: I want to know what freeways in Los Angeles County have High Occupancy Vehicle(or carpool) lanes. Can you provide me with a map?


    Please visit the District 7 HOV Lane Information website to view a map of HOV lanes in Los Angeles County.

      |  Submitted: 08-12-2009
  • Q: What is the Adopt-A-Highway Program? How could I get involved?

    A: The Caltrans Adopt-A-Highway  Program  allows the public to donate materials, equipment and services for roadside maintenance and enhancement. Individuals, organizations, businesses, and city, county, state and federal agencies can adopt sections of the State highway. Program participants have collected litter from over 4,000 locations, cleaned graffiti from more than 300 walls and structures, planted trees and flowers at 375 sites, and save California taxpayers $14.5 million each year. To get started or for further information please call our local coordinator at (213)897-4273,  or refer to our website.    |  Submitted: 06/28/07
  • Q: How do I report debris, dead animals, and/or graffiti on a freeway?

    A: You can submit a freeway  maintenance request to Caltrans by filling out a form on our website, or by calling Public Affairs at (213)897-3656.   |  Submitted: 06/28/07

Back Button | Back To Page Top Link