District 5 - Encroachment Permit Branch
The use of California State highways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization (an Encroachment Permit) from the Department of Transportation. As the responsible Department for protecting the public's investment in the State highway system, Caltrans reviews all requests from utility companies, developers, volunteers, nonprofit organizations, etc., desiring to conduct various activities within the right of way.
Applications are accepted by mail or in person only:
Encroachment Permits Office
Caltrans District 5
50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Encroachment Permit Application (TR-0100)
Note: It may take up to 60 calendar days, upon determination that the submittal is complete, to be issued a permit.
- Encroachment Permit Application Instructions
- Permit Application Checklist
Note: Six sets of plans and/or exhibits are required, and each plan set must be collated, bound, and folded no larger than 8.5" x 11"
- Authorization of Agent Form
- Fee Schedule: Hours x $82/hour, checks made payable to: Caltrans
- Filming Permits
Please include map circled with filming location relative to recognizable features such as bridge, cross street, river, etc.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Oversize/Overweight Permits
- Outdoor Advertising Permits
Encroachment Permits construction links
For browsing ease, we suggest you use the 'index' at the bottom of the document to determine which chapter to view. You can also utilize 'Ctrl+F' to search for a specific term.
- ADA: See Standard Plans A87A to A88B
- Highway Design Manual
- Plans Preparations Manual
- Standard Plans
- Lane Closure Plans (Temporary Traffic Control Systems)
- MBGR, Midwest Guardrail
- Retaining Walls
- Additional Manuals
- Permits Manual
Caltrans has the responsibility and obligation to evaluate and determine if a special event may be safely conducted with as little burden to the traveling public. Special events are allowable under encroachment permit issued by Caltrans. If your event crosses, travels on, or affects State highways then you are required to apply for and obtain an encroachment permit before your event takes place. Please click here for a checklist to guide you in applying for a Special Event encroachment permit. Requirements for Special Event signeage can be found here.
- As-Built Requests - Please contact Pat Duty at (805) 549-3078 or email@example.com
- Public Records Request (i.e., Right of Way/past issued permits)