California Department of Transportation

District 5 - Encroachment Permit Branch

The use of California State highways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization (an Encroachment Permit) from the Department of Transportation. As the responsible Department for protecting the public's investment in the State highway system, Caltrans reviews all requests from utility companies, developers, volunteers, nonprofit organizations, etc., desiring to conduct various activities within the right of way.

Applications are accepted by mail or in person only:
Encroachment Permits Office
Caltrans District 5
50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Construction Resources

Encroachment Permits construction links



For browsing ease, we suggest you use the 'index' at the bottom of the document to determine which chapter to view. You can also utilize 'Ctrl+F' to search for a specific term.

Special Events

Caltrans has the responsibility and obligation to evaluate and determine if a special event may be safely conducted with as little burden to the traveling public.  Special events are allowable under encroachment permit issued by Caltrans.  If your event crosses, travels on, or affects State highways then you are required to apply for and obtain an encroachment permit before your event takes place.  Please click here for a checklist to guide you in applying for a Special Event encroachment permit. Requirements for Special Event signeage can be found here.


Supplemental Information


Last updated: August 2, 2018