North Sherwin Shoulders Project
The purpose of the North Sherwin Shoulders Project is to update the highway design by widening the paved highway shoulders and improving sight distances around curves. The proposed project would widen the existing shoulders to 10ft, install retaining walls, flatten soil slopes next to the highway, replace or install guardrails, upgrade drainage systems, install skip rumble strips between travel lanes and shoulders, and add a bicycle right turn pocket at U.S. 395 and Lower Rock Creek Road.
What is Being Planned
- The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), as assigned by the Federal Highway Administration, proposes to widen shoulders of U.S. 395 from post mile 6.92 to 9.62 in Mono County, CA.
- Caltrans has evaluated the environmental impacts of the proposed project and whether adequate avoidance and minimization measures can be incorporated into the project.
- The Proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration and Initial Study/Environmental Assessment is available for review by clicking this link: North Sherwin Shoulders Project (pdf). Separate technical studies and memos are listed below.
- If you have any comments about processing the project with a Mitigated Negative Declaration and Initial Study/Environmental Assessment, or would like to request a public hearing, please submit them in writing to Caltrans Environmental, Attn: Angela Calloway at 500 South Main Stree, Bishop, CA 93514. Please send your written comments or requests no later than April 22, 2018.
Environmental Documents and Studies
Technical Studies available upon request.
- Air, Noise, Hazardous Waste, and Water Quality
- Natural Environment Study – Minimal Impacts (Biology)
- Visual Impacts Analysis
For More Information Contact
- Florene Trainor, Caltrans District 9 Public Information Officer, 760-872-0603
- For general State highway information: 1-800-427-ROAD (7623) or www.dot.ca.gov
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
District 9 Links
- Highway Conditions
- Live Traffic Cameras
- District 9 Press Releases
- Road Maintenance Service Request
- Points of Interest
- Status of Projects
- District History
- Bike Page
- Job Opportunities
- Post Mile Log
- Winter Driving Tips
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Infrastructure Program
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Grievance Form
Phone: (760) 872-0601