Check Current Highway Conditions
For California Road Conditons call
Caltrans Road Conditons at 1-800-427-7623 or 511.
District 9 - Inyo, Mono, and Eastern Kern Counties
District 9 at a Glance
Caltrans District 9 encompasses the central-east portion of the State with its headquarters in Bishop. The District is responsible for all of the State Highway Systems in Inyo, Mono and eastern Kern Counties.
- Read more about District 9
In geographical size, District 9 is the fourth largest District covering 16,465 square miles, containing varied topography. Mount Whitney (the highest peak in the lower 48 states) is less than 150 miles from Bad Water, Death Valley (the lowest point in the US). There are several State highways that cross the Sierra Nevada mountain range; one leading to the east entrance of Yosemite National Park. The District is in the western portion of the Great Basin, which includes the Owens Valley, bordered by the White and Inyo Mountains to the east and the Sierra to the west. The Mojave Desert encompasses parts of Inyo, San Bernardino, and eastern Kern Counties. The varied topography and elevation lend to a wide range of climate zones.
The District has 19 US and State designated highways.
District 9 Highlights
- Caltrans is Looking for Input from the Public for the Lee Vining Rehabilitation Project
- Freeman Gulch 4-Lane Project Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Eichbaum Toll Road Historic Context Report
- District 9 Press Releases and Traffic Advisories
- Caltrans District 9 Job Opportunities. Click here for a listing of open positions
A Look At District 9
Images that you may see while traveling in District 9
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
District 9 Links
- Highway Conditions
- Live Traffic Cameras
- District 9 Press Releases
- Road Maintenance Service Request
- Points of Interest
- Status of Projects
- District History
- Bike Page
- Job Opportunities
- Post Mile Log
- Winter Driving Tips
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Infrastructure Program
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Grievance Form
Phone: (760) 872-0601