I–8 Update Project Information
Fact Sheet: English | En Español
Imperial County Bike Shuttle
Available 7 a.m. - Noon, Seven Days a Week
The shoulders of I-8 and segments of Evan Hewes Highway in Imperial County will be temporarily closed to bicyclists due to construction on the Interstate 8 Update Project. A free shuttle is available to carry cyclists in both directions during construction. Touring cyclists are encouraged to use an alternate route such as State Route 78 to Blythe/Interstate 10 to Arizona.
Shuttle Pickup & Dropoff Locations (Click location below for map)
- I-8 at State Route 115—Just north of I-8 on the east side of SR-115.
- I-8 at State Route 98—Just south of I-8, in front of the Caltrans Maintenance Facility.
- I-8 at Ogilby Road—Just north of I-8 on the west side of Ogilby Road.
- I-8 at 4th Avenue in Winterhaven—at the Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park.
Cyclists are encouraged to follow safety precautions and to avoid entering construction zones.
The I-8 Update is a multi-year project that will construct 48 miles of Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement and replace asphalt shoulders. The project, to be constructed in five segments, will provide a smoother ride and significantly extend the life expectancy of the roadway. Completion of the project is expected in 2019.
More information about the I-8 Update Project can be found at: www.dot.ca.gov/d11/projects/.
News Releases & Video
- July 19, 2017 – I-8 Construction Between SR-111 and Barbara Worth Road Begins Thursday Morning
- July 11, 2017 – Caltrans Celebrates Milestones on I-8 Project in Imperial County
- June 29, 2017 – I- 8 Westbound Off-Ramp At Algodones Road/State Route 186 Reopens
- June 13, 2017 – I-8 Construction To Begin Between Ogilby Road and State Route 186
- June 9, 2017 – I- 8 Eastbound Ramps at Fourth Avenue Reopen In Winterhaven
- May 3, 2017 – Westbound Interstate 8 Ramps at Algodones Road/State Route 186 to Close Monday
- April 13, 2017 – Eastbound Interstate 8 On- And Off-Ramps At Fourth Avenue In Winterhaven Closed Tuesday
- March 17, 2017 – Interstate 8 Update Traffic Switch at Gordons Well Road
- Jan. 25, 2017 – I-8 Ramps Reopen at 4th Avenue in Winterhaven
- Dec. 12, 2016 – I-8 Ramps Re-Open at Algodones Road and Gordons’ Well Road
- Dec. 2, 2016 – Caltrans To Close Interstate 8/Orchard Road Ramps Monday
- Sept. 23, 2016 – Interstate 8 Update Project Traffic Delays And Detours
- Aug. 16, 2016 – Major Traffic Switch on Imperial County Interstate 8 Pavement Project
- July 25, 2016 – Imperial County Bike Shuttle To Begin on Interstate 8
- July 11, 2016 – Portion of Evan Hewes Highway Closed
- April 14, 2016 – Construction to Begin on I-8 Update Segments 2 and 3
- March 18, 2016 – Westbound I-8 Reduced to One Lane Near State Border Beginning Monday
- March 10, 2016 – Eastbound I-8 Traffic Shift In Imperial County
- Feb. 12, 2016 – Eastbound I-8 Lane Closed Beginning Tuesday Morning
- Feb. 1, 2016 – Construction to Begin on I-8 Update Project
Breaking Ground on I-8 Update Segments 2 and 3—Reinforced pavement will have a life span of about 75 years.
Safety is the first priority for Caltrans and the construction team. Motorists are asked to be alert, slow and prepare for possible delays (Yuma Sun).
Sept. 23, 2016 —Caltrans Resident Engineer Dan Juarez explains Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (Yuma Sun).