Caltrans District 11 Dekema Scholarship
About the Dekema Scholarship
The Dekema Scholarship honors the accomplishments of Jacob Dekema, District 11 Director from 1955 to 1980. He is credited with shaping much of San Diego County’s freeway system, including Interstate 805, which is named after the transportation pioneer.
The scholarship has three sponsors that are committed to excellence in transportation. They include the Caltrans District 11 Employees’ Committee, the California Transportation Foundation, and the San Diego Highway Development Association.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 Dekema Scholarship. This year, two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded.
Applications due by May 12, 2017, at 11:59 p.m.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or documented international student
- High school senior in California or student from a California state accredited college, with a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Pursuing or plan to pursue a course of study and career in transportation, including, but not limited to:
- Construction Management
- Environmental Studies
- Public Affairs or Public Policy
- City, Regional, or Urban Planning
- Information Technology
The Dekema Scholarship is competitive and will be based upon applicants’ specific transportation goals, academic records, and transportation-related activities or job skills. Each applicant must submit the following materials:
- A completed scholarship application,
- A written statement (approximately 500 words) outlining career goals
- A letter of recommendation by a professor, teacher, advisor or supervisor
- Latest report card for high school students or transcripts for college students
- Proof of enrollment
The completed application is due by May 12, 2017, at 11:59 p.m.
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Send completed applications either by:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(The email subject line should include: Dekema Scholarship - Your Name )
Or by United States Postal Service (USPS) to :
Dekema Scholarship – Attn: C. Sandoval
4050 Taylor Street, M.S. 121
San Diego, CA 92110
Selection Process and Award Notification
A panel of transportation professionals will review all applications. After careful review, two recipients will be notified by May 31, 2017. Scholarship recipients will be acknowledged in the Caltrans newsletter Freeways and Faces and the California Transportation Foundation website. Scholarships will be awarded in the spring/summer of 2017.
Note: The Dekema Scholarship selection process is open and competitive. No member of the selection committee will be related to any scholarship applicant. The scholarship awards will be made without discrimination.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or need an application, please contact Carmen Sandoval email@example.com or (619) 688-2556.
Check Current Highway Conditions:
District 11 Quick Links
District 11 A-Z
- About Caltrans District 11
- Business With District 11
- Contact Us
- Customer Service Request
- Encroachment Permits
- Environmental Documents
- Local Assistance
- San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
- Imperial County Transportation Commision (ICTC)
- Metropolitan Transit System (MTS)
- North County Transit District (NCTD)
- City of San Diego
- County of San Diego
- County of Imperial
- 511 San Diego Region
- Shift San Diego
- Keep San Diego Moving
- San Diego Forward—The Regional Plan
- Maintenance (Customer Service Request)
- Multimodal Travel Information
- PeMs — Caltrans Performance Measurement System
- Planned Lane Closures
- Planning Division
- Project Fact Sheets
- Small Business
- Traffic Counts
- Traffic & Weather
Phone: (619) 688-6699
Small Business Liaison:
Phone: (619) 220-7343
Phone: (619) 688-3151